I know its a bit late and i haven't posted for a while but i thought i'd show you the cupcakes i made for children in need and how to make them.
Plain and with sprinkles
Cupcakes with fondant buttons (I'll tell you how to make them in this post)
For the cake i used plain vanilla sponge:
8 ounces butter
8 ounces sugar
8 ounces Self raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract/flavouring/essence
Preheat oven to 180°c (fan)
1. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy
2. add 1 egg and a tablespoon of flour then mix until combined, repeat until all eggs have been used.
3. add flour, vanilla and baking powder and mix until combined.
4. Line 2 muffin trays with 12 paper cases or grease well
5. I use an ice cream scoop to put the mixture in the cases but a tablespoon and teaspoon will work fine. You don't need to even it out, it will do this in the oven on its own.
6. Put in oven for 12-15 minutes or until a knife or skewer comes out clean when put through the cupcake.DON'T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR BEFORE 10 MINUTES BECAUSE THE CUPCAKES WILL SINK IN THE MIDDLE!
7. Leave them to cool before decorating
For the buttercream i used:
225g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
450g icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla flavouring
A few drops of yellow food colouring until you get the colour you want ( I use americolor gel paste, egg yellow )
1. Whish the butter and icing sugar with an electric mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence and a drop of food colouring at a time, whisk again. If the colour isn't dark enough, add another drop whisk and so on.